Sunday, March 1, 2009

Method for Teaching or Learning Choreography

Jeff Subeck shared his method for teaching choreography.

I added the acronym, follow your NOSE:

N - Notate the dance
O - Observe people doing the dance
S - Style
E - Educate someone

From Jeff:

You can prepare to teach [a dance] as a learning tool, even though you have no intent of actually teaching it. I do that all the
time. Then, when I am doing the dance, I remember the words that I would use to teach it, and that helps me remember the dance
better.

1. I write out the steps in my notation. If I think that I probably know all the steps, then I do this without consulting any video
or outside sources. If I am pretty sure that I do not know a sequence, then I use the video to do the notation. I play small parts
over and over until I can record all the steps in my notation.

2. I watch the video and compare it to my notes, looking for any discrepencies. If I find discrepencies, I make a judgement call as
to whether the video is right or if I am right. If I am not sure, I look for another video and/or ask someone like Jim.

3. Once I am confident that my notes are correct, I look at the video to see if there are any stylistic things that I should add to
my notes. Again, there is judgement here as to whether a particular stylistic thing is the choreography or just how the particular
dancers are doing it. Keep in mind that people sometimes do things incorrectly on the video. Also, sometimes a stylistic thing is
specific to the dance and sometimes it is just the way the choreographer dances in general.

4. I teach an imaginary person the dance. You may want to try a real person like Brian if this is your first teach, but I generally
find that it works fine with an imaginary partner. At this stage I decide details
such as how I want to call out the steps and whether I want to do anything untraditional such as teaching the hardest part first.

No comments:

Post a Comment